Writer’s block! How can I beat it?!
I get asked this A LOT. I am a writer and write every day. As a result, I have been asked how do you beat writer’s block? I personally believe writer’s block doesn’t exist. I also wrote a similar article citing a quick an easy way to get writing. Here are 25 tips to beat writer’s block:
- Write your past. What happened to you? Tell your own perspective. Maybe you want to start your own memoir.
- Write the future, it could be what you want your life to be or what you think life will be like. P.S. Flying cars is a little played out.
- Describe your best friend. Work those adjectives.
- Write your dream guy/girl
- Pretend you were an inanimate object – what would it be like if you were a car? how would you act if you were a parrot? Maybe a pen. What kind of life does a pen have?
- Go on a trip. Take a stroll through the zoo. Go to the grocery store. Sit in a parking lot and people watch. You will see something worth watching.
- Write backwards. Start at the end. Was it a car crash? Did they get married? Then decide how you got there. Keep writing backwards. They rode off in the sunset. They got in the car finally wed and keep writing on and on and on until you get to your beginning.
- Write poetry. Poetry doesn’t have rules so put lines together. Just write and once you get that on the page take each line and make it a story plot.
- Write about things you hate
- Write about things you love
- Write a story as if you were a new character in your favorite TV show
- Steal dialog. Go to a restaurant and write down the things you overhear people say. then find a way to make your characters say that
- What’s a book you read that you didn’t like how it ended? Maybe the guy didn’t get the girl or the guy chose the wrong guy. Rewrite the ending.
- Write as if you were living in a different time period. what would have it been like to watch Abraham Lincoln give the Gettysburg Address
- Join writer forums. You’ll always find a new perspective to write.
- Write fan fiction. 50 Shades of Grey is supposedly fan fiction of Twilight.
- Look up writing prompts. Give a few a try.
- write yourself as a superhero!
- Write focusing on only one of your senses. what is a day like in just smells? What is an hour in just sounds?
- Write about another planet. What would it be like to live on Pluto?
- Music, think of where the artist was or felt to write that song
- Art, go to a gallery and write the story you think the piece if trying to say
- Talk to a kid. Kids are strange and they do say the darnest things. Talk to them for about 30 minutes and then write about it.
- Write if you were a person in a major tragedy. What would you have done if you were trapped in the 9/11 building?
- Try an app like StoryShop
Writing is a lot like riding a bike down a hill. You just have to get started.
Don’t judge your writing. Just start. Write until you feel like stopping, then edit and critique. Maybe you have something golden. Maybe not, so what. You wrote, though, didn’t you? The quality doesn’t really matter because if you keep doing it you will get better. The important thing is you didn’t let the blocks stop you. Pretend you’re a runner and writing block is a hurdle. You can get over it. Just jump. You just have to jump.